As I am passionate in baking, oven is my best friend in the kitchen, where I enjoy whipping up tasty dishes that does not require much oil and have tried a couple of traditional Indian snacks with it. Besides the conventional oven, I also use microwave oven to try out some easy and innovative recipes. I would say that oven is such a boon and I am a believer in it! My food belief is that healthy food leads to healthy living. That is why many of the recipes that I have created reflected on my food philosophy. You can even find a few fusion recipes that I have posted on my site.
The question is, ‘should sweets must always be a guilty pleasure?’ My sweet tooth always makes me craves for something sweet, but in reality sugar alarms me. As a result of that, I started experimenting with honey and dates to replace them with sugar! With that, I have successfully created a sweet treat loaded with nuts and oats to satisfy my cravings. Not only this oats and nuts cake is a great nutritional snack (a mild sweet) for adults, but also a yummy treat for kids.
- Oats - 1 cup (I used Quaker (instant) oats)
- Almonds - 1/4 cup
- Walnuts - 1/4 cup
- Dates - 30 (Adjust according to your sweetness)
- Water - 3/4 cup
- Salt - a pinch
- Almond extract - 1/8 tsp
- Ghee - 1 tbsp + to Grease the pan
- Cardamom powder - 1/8 tsp
- Soak dates in warm water to make it soft for 15 to 20 minutes and grind them into fine paste with water.
- Grease a tray with ghee and keep aside.
- Pulse oats, walnuts and almonds into fine powder.
- In a non-stick / heavy bottomed pan, add ½ tsp of ghee and saute the oats, walnut and almond flour for 4 to 5minutes till the raw smell goes.
- Add the dates puree to the flour and keep stirring till they start leaving the pan and turns into a non-stick dough. Add ½ tbsp of ghee and mix well.
- Transfer the content to the greased tray and level it. Leave it for at least 1 hour and cut them into squares.
- Nuts and oats flour can also be dry roasted. Roast the nuts to avoid raw smell
- Sugar/ Jaggery can be used instead of sugar. Prepare the sugar syrup with little water and add the flour mixture and cook till it keaves the pan
- Apple sauce, mango puree or any fruit puree can be replaced with dates syrup
- Date syrups bought from stores can also be used
- Any nuts like cashew, walnut, pecan, almond, pistachio, etc. can be used
- I used combination of oats and nuts instead.
- If you want to create Burfi, it can be prepared with any one nuts/pays flour.
- Artificial food color can be added for color.
- Fried nuts can be added for extra richness.
Thank you for taking the time to check out this article! To read more great content on food, wine and travel, please visit our blog section. If you’re looking to become an expert at making pastries and baking, why not check out one or more of our pastry baking cooking holidays? Browse through the vast choices here.